We use Redshift, S3, Python, Kinesis, Kubernetes and dbt to ingest, transform, and store tens of millions of records from our application, payment providers, and third party data providers. This data is used by teams across the company, including product, marketing, finance, data science, and personalization.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced and collaborative individual contributor who wants to lead complex, high impact data projects at a mature startup.
What you'll do:
- Lead data, product, and infrastructure engineers in complex, cross-team projects such as:
- Redesigning our ETL pipelines to support a transition from a monolithic OLTP database to event-driven microservices.
- Enabling product engineers and analysts to efficiently instrument, manage, and catalog hundreds of analytics events.
- Significantly improve the performance, reliability, and usability of our infrastructure to enable fast, frictionless decision making across the organization.
- Work closely with analysts, engineers, and business stakeholders across the organization.
- Mentor peers and raise the bar for data engineering practices across the company.
What you'll need to be successful:
- You have a deep understanding of distributed batch and streaming systems, both in theory and practice, and can design with explicit trade offs around speed, reliability, and scale.
- You are a proven technical leader, communicator, and consensus builder.
- You’re very strong in at least one programming language (we use Python) and can build and support internal tools and APIs.
- Ideally, you have led a transition from a batch-first to streaming-first data architecture.
Why you're excited about us:
- Our team: There aren’t many venture-backed startups with high growth rates, a strong platform and subscription-driven business model, AND a powerful social impact. On top of that, our small team is passionate, talented, and driven.
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.