As Netflix continues to grow around the world, we face new and exciting challenges for our machine learning algorithms to solve so that we can build the perfect homepage for each of our over 200M members. We need to handle the scale and diversity of tastes of people around the world. We seek to enable new user interface and interaction paradigms by ensuring that we use every piece of screen real-estate in an effective manner. We balance many factors such as: accuracy and diversity; discovery and continuation; exploration and maximization; recommendations and promotion; immediate engagement and long-term satisfaction. To do this requires taking our machine learning approach for creating the home page to the next level.
The Page Algorithms team is looking for a passionate and talented applied machine learning engineer to join us. In this role, you will lead the way by building the next generation of systems and algorithms used to decide what content to show on the Netflix homepage. We are working on some big changes to our approach, so now is an extraordinary time for you to join and have a large impact. For more details about Netflix personalization, see here:
As a Research Engineer at Netflix, you will use a combination of skills in machine learning and software engineering to develop our algorithms and systems. This includes conceptualizing, designing, implementing, and validating potential improvements for the homepage by running offline experiments and building online A/B tests to run in production systems. We’re especially interested in candidates with a desire to improve our system infrastructure and implement new software components that are essential for our end-to-end algorithmic innovation. To be successful in this role, you need strong software development skills, some experience with machine learning, a keen sense of software design, a love of learning, and to collaborate well in multi-disciplinary teams. You will need to exhibit strong communication and leadership skills, an ability to set priorities, and an execution focus in a dynamic environment.
To learn more about our research at Netflix, you can visit our research page here.
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years of experience with a track record of delivering quality results
- Strong software design and development experience in languages such as Scala, Java, Python, C++ or C#
- Experience in successfully building systems for and applying machine learning to real-world problems
- Expertise in machine learning spanning supervised and unsupervised learning methods
- Experience with parallel and distributed computing
- Experience with large-scale data frameworks such as Spark, Hive, or Hadoop
- Great interpersonal skills
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or related field
Preferred, but not required, additional areas of experience:
- Recommendation Systems, Personalization, or Search
- Deep Learning, Causal Inference, Bandits, or Reinforcement Learning
- Strong mathematical skills with knowledge of statistical methods
- Optimization algorithms and numerical computation
- TensorFlow, Keras, or PyTorch
- Cloud computing platforms and large web-scale distributed systems
Hiring Manager: Justin Basilico