Bandcamp is seeking a software developer with an interest in systems and infrastructure to help us manage our production environment, and in turn help independent artists around the world stay connected with their fans. You'll work on automation, tooling, monitoring, and other behind-the-scenes code, as well as the design, implementation, and ongoing maintenance of our infrastructure. We are looking for someone located in Western US-compatible timezones, preferably US Pacific (UTC -7/UTC -8).
Bandcamp is an online record store and music community where passionate fans discover, connect with, and directly support the artists they love. Artists have earned over a half-billion dollars on Bandcamp. We believe that music is an indispensable part of culture, and for that culture to survive, artists must be compensated fairly and transparently for their work.
About the systems team
Our four-person Systems Team helps to ensure that Bandcamp's production infrastructure and website meet our availability, security, and performance goals. We work closely with our feature development teams to meet those goals, assisting them in getting their code to production and helping them understand how their code works and performs once it's deployed.
Our responsibilities include primary incident response, infrastructure maintenance, monitoring, tooling and automation improvements, third-party integration management, and operational support. We are also the primary developers for several back-end systems, in areas such as code deployment and media processing.
In this role you will:
- Design, build, and maintain systems-focused software, such as internal tooling and automation
- Design, build, and maintain infrastructure to help Bandcamp meet our business needs and availability, security, and performance goals
- Maintain our existing technology stack, built on Linux, Ruby, MySQL, Zookeeper, HAProxy, nginx, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, and Grafana
- Research new technologies and determine how they can help Bandcamp meet its goals
- Support developers in bringing their code to production, and in understanding how it
- works and performs once it's there
- Be trained in high-stakes incident response, with the goal of joining our on-call rotation
- within a year or two
- Server-side development experience, in Ruby or a similar language (e.g. Python, Java)
- Strong written communication skills, including real-time written communication (e.g. text
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- An interest in learning more about Linux-based systems and infrastructural software
- The ability to work independently and learn new technologies at a healthy pace
Great! Send us a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
NOTE: We’re posting this role first with communities that prioritize diversity so you won’t see it yet on Bandcamp’s jobs page.